A New Tool for Oral Examinations
VELscope is a revolutionary hand-held device that provides dentists and hygienists with an easy-to-use adjunctive mucosal examination system for the detection of abnormal tissue.
Did you know?
- Oral Cancer kills one person every hour, 24 hours a day in North America
- The incidence of oral cancer has exceeded the incidence of cervical cancer
- The overall 5-year survival rate for oral cancer is 52%, but when discovered early, it increases to 80%-90%
- Pre-malignant changes actually start below the surface, at the basement membrane. The changes may not be apparent to the naked eye until the disease progresses to the surface
The VELscope emits a safe blue light into the oral cavity, which excites the tissue from the surface of the epithelium through the entire tissue layer to the basement membrane causing normal tissue to fluoresce. The clinician is then able to immediately view the different fluorescent responses not visible to the naked eye, helping differentiate between normal and abnormal tissue. In fact, VELscope is the only non-invasive adjunctive device clinically proven to help discover oral disease.
Dr. Gordon and his team are able to provide you with this technology at your First Visit and at your check-up exams, typically on an annual basis. How many little sores do we find in our mouths? Most of the time we simply ignore them and they go away. However, sometimes our mouths keep “secrets”. That’s why we are proud to offer the VELscope Enhanced Assessment System, a potentially life-saving technology, to our patients.
The VELscope helps:
- Improve our assessment of your overall oral health.
- Ensure that the delicate tissues of your mouth are healthy.
- Protect you from oral disease, including oral cancer.
All this in two minutes, with no rinses, stains or discomfort.